Community events — potlucks, community art projects, yard sales, public screenings, presentations, dialogues, open houses, urban tactical projects, walks — are great ways to strengthen relationships with people residing in our community. A community event can serve to provide information, motivate community activism, make connections, increase awareness around a specific issue, or to activate forgotten spaces in Crescent Heights.
Crescent Heights Village Days celebrates the people and places in Crescent Heights. Over the month of June a variety of gatherings will occur in Crescent Heights. Some of these events are organized by Crescent Heights Community Association, and many more are organized by residents, businesses and organizations based in Crescent Heights.
The main goal of each event is to gather residents of Crescent Heights and have residents explore the neighbourhood while developing a deeper connection to the people who live or work within our community.
The Village Days Planning Guide is packed with examples of community event/project ideas along with a step-by-step instruction guide to having a successful event.
Where can gatherings happen?
- Your street
- Your front yard
- Your house
- The common area of your apartment
- A local park
- At a business
- Helps demonstrate your commitment to the community you do business in.
- Promotes connections in the community
- Opportunity for you to get to know residents of the area.
- At a non profit
- Strengthen and promote your mission .
- Meet your strategic goals.
- Use Village Days as a communication and distribution channel for your programs and services.
- Use Village Days to recruit supporters, volunteers, board members and staff.
- Gain visibility and recognition among the community you are situated in.
- Enhance your image as a leader in building social capital and increasing civic participation.
Ideas to Gather Community
Below are fun and easy idea for your Village Days event. We’ve searched the web for some of the best, and trusted, methods on how to gather community.
Remember, this list is for inspiration only. Feel free to run with an idea and make it your own. The most important thing in all of this is, whatever you choose to do for Village Days, should involve relationship-building and creating connections between neighbours.
- Host a block party
- Yard Sale
- Book exchange
- Front Yard Talent Show
- Kids performance or play
- Battle of the bands
- Put on a film screening
- Organize a pub quiz
- Karaoke party
- Kite flying
- Food drive
- Bake sale for charity
- Host an open house
- Organize a litter clean up
- Hold a swap shop
- Organize an arts & crafts festival
- Neighbourhood walking tour
- Nature walking tour
- Organize a performance
- Organize a restaurant crawl
- Creatively activate a forgotten space
- Host an open house at your organization or business
- Four Square
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Board games
- Dominoes tournament
- Slip & Slide
Food & Drink
- Dessert party/ ice cream social
- Spaghetti Supper
- Pancake breakfast
- Pizza Party
- Cocktail party
- Lemonade Stand
- Cookie Exchange
- Offer a discount at your restaurant/ bar
- Attend a community garden meet-up
- Participate in a community clean up
- Organize an Intersection Mural Painting Party
- Organize a Bicycle Tune-Up
(Thanks to http://neighborhoodday.org for gathering these ideas)
Or, any other creative idea that takes place in Crescent Heights and gathers a small (or large) group of people.
We invite you to submit your event to be included in the Village Days Programming & Events Calendar.